Friday, March 02, 2007

Folate: Go Green for Your Mind

In a recent study, Netherlands researchers found seniors receiving three years of folate supplementation (800 micrograms per day) had better performance on tests of global cognitive function, memory, rate of information processing, and sensorimotor speed (No effects were seen on verbal fluency). Other new studies suggest that folate could reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, hypertension (especially in women), and age-related hearing loss. Folates are present in dark green leafy vegetables (romaine lettuce better than iceberg), beans, and folate-supplemented grains.


Folate Improves Cognitive Function
More Folate, Less Alzheimer's Disease
Folate May Slow Age-Related Hearing Loss
Folate and Hypertension
Folate in Foods
Wikipedia: Romaine Lettuce

Technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Sarah

    http://www.thetreadmillguide.com

    ReplyDelete