Friday, February 02, 2007

The Common Cold and Your Brain

Got a bad cold? Can't think? There may be a reason.

Picornaviruses (family associated with common colds and flu) impaired the spatial memories of mice (couldn't find the original article online yet, but I have a bad cold...), leading scientists to wonder whether frequent cold infections are bad for the brain.



I think this mouse looks worried, but maybe he's trying to remember where he left his car keys.

(BTW: the incidence of colds in kids averages 6 to 8 colds per year)

Colds, Flus Could Cause Brain Damage, Study Says | TechFreep Science
Spatial Memory and the Common Cold

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:59 PM

    Liz from I Speak of Dreams -- I'd say something cogent only my brain seems to be leaking out my nose. Or something is leaking out my nose.

    The great thing about offspring getting older -- high school rather than grammar school -- is that disease transmission seems to diminish. Unless of course you share a smoothie with the diseased high schooler.

    Anyway, I would recommend that yu take a look at at Daniel Tammet's blog and book. Link here

    http://www.optimnem.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz! Great site. I'll blog on it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That can explain why I didn't get the right bus twice today :P

    ReplyDelete